Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nikon D90 at Costco

On one of my multi-weekly trips to Costco recently, I noticed that they're selling the Nikon D90 DSLR these days. I also saw that it's on sale for a $100 off with 2 excellent lenses in the bundle. I originally got the D80 bundle back in December 2006 when they had it; I think they've had the D40 at some time as well. One of the many features of the D90 is the fact that it's one of the few DSLRs out there that records video.

Ken Rockwell reviews it on his website, and also explains the megapixel myth. Basically the number of megapixels will not make a difference to the regular amateur photographer. Read his review if you're considering the D90.

My take? It's always been a great idea to combine multiple technologies/features into one device, but it often results in mediocre performance. Heard of the phrase, "jack of all trades, master of none?" That's how I feel about most multi-function devices outside of fax/copy/scan machines. If you want a good camera, get a good camera. If you want a good video camera, get a good video camera and expect it to be something different from your good camera. FYI, we have the D80 with a 18-200 VR and 50mm (1.8) lenses, and the Canon HV30 HD video camera.

2 comments:

Tim said...

my d90 rocks :)
which two lenses were included?

jtcho78 said...

they're including the 18-105mm VR and 70-300mm VR lenses. i don't doubt it's a great camera, just am skeptical on the video features.